The impregnable Warangal Fort was built during the reign of king Ganapatideva. He was the greatest of the Kakatiyas and the first after the Satavahanas to bring the entire Telugu area under one rule. Since Ganapatideva had no sons, his daughter Rudramba succeeded him in 1262 AD
The Archaeological Survey of India has listed the remains of the fort as a Monument of National Importance.
Marvels in Architecture
The Warangal fort has 45 towers and pillars which are spread over 19 kms. There is a temple of Mother Earth called ‘Swayambhudevi Alayam’. The fort consists of stone gateways carved out of single rock with a height of around 30 feet. The gateways are known as Kirti Toranas. The remnants of the fort consist of delicate sculpture, stone work, motifs and designs.
The Kakatiya period was rightly called the golden period in Telugu history. They established order throughout the strife torn land and the forts built by them played a dominant role in the defence of the realm.
Major Tourist Attraction
The fort is a major attraction among the travellers, archaeologists and locals as the ruins offer a great insight into the history of the period.
Account of Foreign Traveller
The cultural and administrative distinction of the Kakatiyas was mentioned by the famous traveller Marco Polo.
Invasion by Delhi Sultan
Ghiaz-ud-din Tughlaq sent a large army under Ulugh Khan to conquer the Warangal fort thus putting an end to the glorious Kakatiya rule.
Source: The New Indian Express