NTPC to add two more power plants

By: K.M. Dayashankar

The 2,600 MW National Thermal Power Corporation Limited in Ramagundam is all set for expansion of its power station by adding two more plants of 1,600 MW (2×800 MW) capacity during the financial year 2015-16.

NTPC Ramagundam executive director R.K. Srivatsava said that they would be taken up at a cost of Rs. 9,500 crore approximately. The environmental study assessment was done and the agency would submit the report to Telangana State Pollution Control Board (TSPCB)) and the Union government.

“The project site is ready and the enabling works would begin soon. We would go for the public hearing for the proposed power plants if the government allocates land for the ash pond in the vicinity,” he said. The coal linkage will be made by the Ministry of Coal, he said and added that the Singareni Collieries Company Limited had come forward to provide 70 per cent of the coal for the project and the remaining 30 per cent of the coal would be imported.

With regard to the expansion of the solar power plant at the NTPC Ramagundam, he said that they were already generating solar power through the existing 10 MW of power plant and the expansion of 15 MW of solar power plant would be taken up after the power purchase agreement (PPA) was made with the Telangana State government. Asked about the NTPC facing hardships during the last summer and rainy season due to short supply of coal from Singareni, Mr. Srivatsava said that the Singareni had assured to supply daily 45,000 metric tonnes of coal to NTPC Ramagundam and the company also had 8.5 lakh metric tonnes of coal stocks .Water for thermal plant

The Irrigation Department of Telangana on Tuesday issued orders allocating 60 cusecs of water (2 TMC ft) for drawl throughout the year from Sreepada Yellampalli reservoir for stage-one of the 2×800 MW Telangana Power Project at Ramagundam in Karimnagar District, on payment of water charges.

Source: The Hindu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *