TS Plans to Produce Rs 20,000 Cr Worth of Fish

The Telangana government has ambitious plans to produce around ` 20,000 crore worth fish for local consumption and also for export purposes. The tanks to be restored under Mission Kakatiya will be used for fish production.

Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Pocharam Srinivasa Reddy conducted a conference with officials of Fisheries Department from Secretariat on Thursday. Speaking to reporters later, he said they would restore all the tanks that were intended to produce fish seed. The government has decided to raise 200 crore fish seeds.

“The fish consumption in Telangana is to the tune of ` 25,000 crore to ` 30,000 crore per year. Of which, only 15 per cent fish is being produced in Telangana and the remaining 85 per cent is being imported from other States,” the Minister said.

As the fish tanks were damaged in Telangana, the local fishermen failed to get employment and had been migrating in search of livelihood. “We will utilise 45,000 tanks being restored in Mission Kakatiya and improve fish culture,” the Minister said.

Fish seed would be supplied to fishermen on 50 per cent subsidy. The National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) would bear subsidy to provide two-wheelers and four-wheelers to sell fish.

Source: The New Indian Express

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *