Smt. Surabhi Vani Devi, daughter of former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao, is a renowned educationist, artist and social activist.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) Party has announced Smt Vani Devi as its candidate for the Hyderbad-Ranga Reddy-Mahabubnagar Graduate MLC constituency. Here is the brief profile of Smt Surabhi Vani Devi.
Born in Vangara village in erstwhile Karimnagar district on 1st April 1952, Smt. Vani Devi completed her studies in Hyderabad. She did her graduation from Osmania University and Diploma in Fine Arts from JNTU. Smt. Vani Devi served as a lecturer in JNTU between 1990 and 1995. She is the founder president of several educational institutions such as
- Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Sri Venkateshwara College of Pharmacy, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Sri Venkateshwara College of Architecture, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Surabhi Dayakar Rao College of Pharmacy, Gazwel, Siddipet Dist
- Swami Ramananda Theratha Co-Op Junior College, Mulakanoor, Karimnagar Dist
- Swami Ramananda Theratha Memorial Model School, Begumpet, Hyderabad
As a practicing artist, Smt. Vani Devi believes that art is inherent in everyone. Over the past 35 years of her career, she has worked to ensure that high quality art education is delivered to all students who profess an active interest in the field. The old notion that art is not lucrative has now been dispelled and so the need of the hour is quality education so that artists can become consummate professionals without losing any of their creative prowess. Smt. Vani has endeavored to provide this through the colleges that she has founded.
As an educationist, Smt. Vani Devi’s philosophy is based on the ideal “Imparting education is the greatest gift that one can give to mankind.” It has been a family tradition for her to pursue intellectual activities, contribute to literary and social realms and share her knowledge and academic resources. It is this philosophy that forms the touchstone for the academic institutions Smt. Vani Devi runs, where excellence is not an option but a way of life.
Sri PV Narsimha Rao, father of Smt Vani Devi had a major impact on her life. Sri PV, the pride of Telangana and the father of economic reforms in India, instilled a strong social conscience in her. Smt. Vani has been associated with many NGOs and actively participating in many programs to bring about a positive change in society. At present, she is the In-charge Chair Person & General Secretary of the Swami Ramananda Thertha Memorial Committee, Begumpet, Hyderabad.
For her commendable work in the fields of Art, Education and Social Work, Smt Surabhi Vani has received many awards including the International Women’s Achievement Award by Telangana Government in 2016. Here is the list of some of the awards presented to Smt. Vani Devi
- 2019 Smt. Ravichettu Lakshmi Narasamma Smaraka Puraskaram 2019 by Sri Krishan Devaraya Basha Nilayam Hyderabad.
- 2019 Radio City Hyderabad City Icon Awards for excellence in the category of Pharmacy Education, Sri Venkateshwara College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad.
- 2019 Radio City Hyderabad City Icon Awards for excellence in the category of Pharmacy Education, Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Hyderabad.
- 2019 Radio City Hyderabad City Icon Awards for excellence in the category of Pharmacy Education, Sri Venkateshwara College of Architecture, Hyderabad.
- 2015 Felicitation by Visita Mahila pursakarm, Telanagan Rastra Samithi Party
- 2014 International Institute of Educational & Management Best Educationist Award, New Delhi
- Recipient of “Prathibha Puraskar” – 2012 awarded by the Potti Sriramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad on 02.12.2012.
- Held more than 15 solo exhibitions in India and abroad from 1973.
- Organized “Sare Jahan se Achcha” a solo exhibition by The Gandhi Memorial Centre at Washington, D.C., USA.
- Conducted an AICTE sponsored QIP programme on “Role of Applied Art Teacher” at Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Conducted an AICTE sponsored QIP programme on “Design Corporate” at Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Conducted All-India Student Artiste Camp at Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Conducted All-India Artistes Camp in 1994 at Sri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Madhapur, Hyderabad
- Conducted 40 days workshop in Painting at Salarjung Museum, Hyderabad Conducted 15 days Terracotta workshop for UG students
- Has been the organizing Committee Member for International Conventions in 2014, 2016 & 2018 Indian Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (IACP)
- Sponsored many Academic Programs such as Indian Pharmaceuticals Congress (IPC) 2015 Hyderabad, National Conference in Pharmacy Practice – 2014
Conferences and Events:
Smt. Surabhi Vani Participated in many National and International conferences and events.
- Participated in Deccan Art foundation Hyderabad, 2012
- Participated in the Bathukamma Art Camp at State Art Gallery, Hyderabad 2010 – Participated in the Art Exhibition of Konaseema Chitrakal Parishad 2010
- Participated in Women’s Art Camp “Chitramayee” A.P. State Gallery of Fine Arts, Government of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad 2009
- Participated in a Group show “Blooming colours” held by Hyderabad Art Society at TajKrishna, Hyderabad 2009
- Participated in Andhra Pradesh Arts and Crafts Exhibition of Lepakshi Emporium 2008 – Participated in an Artist Camp at Shilparamam, Madhapur, Hyderabad organized by the Department of Tourism and Culture of Andhra Pradesh and of India 2002
- Participated in “Gift of Life – Affordable Art” Exhibition in aid of Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad 2002
- Participated in the Group show held on the eve of Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of the Hyderabad Art Society 2001
- Participated in All India Traditional Painting Camp conducted by Shilparamam Craft Village, Hyderabad and South Zone Cultural Centre
- Participated in World Telugu Federation second Conference at Hyderabad 1996
- Demonstrated for Fevicryl Colour Company at Gandhi Gyan Mandir, Hyderabad 1989 – Participated in Graphics camp organised by Poul Lingrin from the USA at State Lalitha Kala Academy 1984
- Participated in World Telugu Federation conference Mural Painting 1975